> The problem that must be solved:
> a File created from CIFS must have the same owner SID/ ACL/ UID/ GID
> like those created with netatalk. (interoperabiity)

The thing is that surely that's an API or system level requirement - it
shouldn't be up to each server application to reverse-engineer what the
CIFS/NFS server is already doing.

If the capability exists in the CIFS/NFS server then it would seem to make more
sense to expose that as a usable feature for any server/process.  My experience
is obviously more from the OS X side, but basically once an OS X client is
hooked up to an AD it just becomes a secondary search path via
DirectoryService, and OS X transparently maps the UID/GID for any process -
without any need for changes to the AD (either schema or IDMU).

We've started using OpenIndiana primarily for ZFS but we've found a lot of
fantastic features as we've gone along (zones, crossbow etc.) and it is
certainly a far stronger server platform than anything Apple have done
recently.  However, I've got to say that I think OS X has a far, far better
approach to managing foreign directories - and it may be worth looking at that
as a possible example of a really strong system for working in heterogenous
environments.  I think it could be massively useful and as I've said in another
email we've got some resources we could throw at this for a developer that
thinks they can get something a little bit neater - because it really feels a
bit strange that at the moment the native AD integration is significantly
better for just CIFS/NFS than for any other process.

James.