This assumes that there will never be remote user access (vnc, etc.) to do development work that uses a GUI interface. So you can't have SunRay type capabilities or even do simple things like web page development on that box (without gimp or some other graphics capability). Basically all development would require a non-illumos box. I currently can do this with VNC using my tablet or laptop which has saved my tail a number of times when I'm on the road since I'm not allowed to have proprietary data with me when I travel.

On 9/2/12 11:47 AM, Michael Stapleton wrote:
Would not webmin be a good fit? Develop good modules for webmin to
manage OI with.

Mike

On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 17:02 +0200, Open Indiana wrote:

It's not that OI doesn't have to have a GUI, it's only that not all settings
have to be set OVER a GUI.
Of course it needs a decent GUI, but that doesn't imply that you can
change/alter anything without getting deeper and into the commandline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gendel [mailto:g...@genashor.com]
Sent: zondag 2 september 2012 16:53
To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden
resigns"

On 9/2/12 7:23 AM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
On 2/09/12 02:48 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, Robin Axelsson wrote:
I'm fully aware of the power of the command line and it is the
command line that really makes me like Unix based OSes (including
Linux). But making OI look well-polished with a fancy and easy to
administer web-admin GUI that would encourage the average-Joe to use
it as a home-NAS / virtual server is not a bad thing. That way OI
would reach a higher penetration with a larger user-base and most
importantly; it will get _free advertising_. To some extent the old
adage "A good product markets itself" has some truth in it. But it
must not only be good, it has to /look/ good so that even a less
versed person will understand how good it is.
Focusing on issues like this would be putting the cart before the
horse.  It is more important to be able to easily build everything
and incorporate updates than to have a fancy configuration GUI. OI
popularity should come second to correct functionality and having an
organization (of volunteers and corporate entities) to sustain it. If
OI is worthy, popularity will follow, even if only from people who
already preferred Solaris.
+1. Precisely.

I totally agree.  However, I selfishly want an X-windows server and window
manager on my server.  I personally would prefer a simple window manager
over a the heavyweight Gnome/KDE camps but there are reasons to go with
these.

I develop GUI based applications and have just about one of every
Linux/Unix/Mac/Windows OS and version running to do build and test sitting
in the home office on the opposite coast.  Our clients still have a large
investment with Solaris 9/10 so it is important that this builds and runs on
a Solaris variant.  Some of the apps can launch external programs, so it
determines whether it should use gnome-open, etc. to choose the appropriate
application.

I telecommute, so when I make code changes I like to first build and test it
on a cross section of platforms locally so I don't ship it out to the build
farm broken and make everyone unhappy.

I run router/firewall/file-share/backup/web/imap,web,smtp mail services on
an old V20z.  I have over 10 TB of mirrored zfs storage on which stores mail
for each user  With all of this, I seldomly tax it's resources.  I do,
however use this to build and test to make sure that it properly compiles
and runs my applications.  This has saved me countless of re-spins do to
compiler or library issues. Without X-windows and some WM, I would no longer
be able to use this machine that way and would have to take the hit for
breaking Solaris builds.

I recently picked up an Enterprise 450 when I heard of the OI Sparc efforts.
However, it came with the internal NIC and the DVD drive broken.  It also
has that funky PXE graphics card.  I got around the NIC by putting a
fiberchannel card in and a SX to TX converter, and picked up a replacement
DVD drive.  I was hoping to not only use it for testing, but to use it to
help the SPARC OI efforts but it still requires X-windows and WM to be
useful for me.

I can't believe that I'm the only one that uses OI to do GUI product
development.

Gary