On 05 Sep 2012, at 14:21, Magnus <mag...@yonderway.com> wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Didier Carlier wrote:
>>
>> The use case described is handled perfectly by OSX server ($15 these
>> days...).
>> It might still be a good idea but don't believe that Mac users are waiting
>> for such a NAS without any alternatives…
>
> My iTunes library is pushing 2TB these days, and I'm not done backing up my
> large DVD collection yet. I've got a stack of external firewire drives
> attached to my Mac Mini that are slow (nature of Firewire) and suffer early
> thermal failure because these cases are designed more for looking slim and
> attractive on my desk than they are for actively cooling the disks within.
> If I want to add new disks to expand my volume, I can't really do that; I
> have to make a full backup, destroy my original volume, and create a new
> volume with more disks in it.
>
> I'm a beta tester for what was TensComplement so I have ZFS on there now, but
> I still have the limitations of firewire and the consumer level external disk
> thermal problems.
>
> I very much have an interest in moving my precious media library to something
> more robust and performant.
>
> OS X Server doesn't fix any of that.
>
> Meanwhile I've got a ~5 year old AMD machine that used to be a nice Linux
> desktop, now running Illumos (as of about 8 hours or so ago) and the long
> slow rsync from my Mac is still going. My disks will be actively cooled by a
> case with adequate fans. When my 2TB ZFS volume is a little closer to full, I
> can add another mirrored pair of 2TB disks to my pool in a matter of maybe
> half an hour tops (including time to physically install the disks). I've also
> got a pair of SSD's for slog and cache devices to put in there, once I source
> another SATA controller for the system. I can't do any of that with my Mac
> Mini.
>
> I'm also looking at the *five disks* on my desk right now around my monitor,
> and smiling knowing that they are going away soon.
>
> -M

I wasn't talking specifically about firewire, a Thunderbolt disk array like the
ones from Promise is much faster than firewire and support up to 12 TB.
That might be more expensive but functionally, a Mac mini plus this kind of
storage handles your load without any problem.
Now obviously I agree that ZFS has its advantages, but OSX has some too, at
least in a full Mac home or SME.