I have had this issue and it turned out to be a power supply with too little power for the 6 hard drives stuffed into my ultra 20. Removed 2 drives and everything was fine. The drives were perfectly fine. The other time I have run into this is when I would lose a required nfs mount (like a home drive).

Good luck.

The time I had a reset every 14 days turned out to be a problem with the server rooms ups sending me a 'shutdown' message every two weeks. Switched ups and that disappeared.

On 01/16/13 10:01 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
From: David Scharbach [mailto:david.scharb...@mac.com]

I have an OI installation that seems to crash about every 20 days.  Locks up
completely and needs a hard reset.  Not very much fun.
Whenever I've seen this type of behavior before, it was hardware/driver
related, but we never were able to narrow it down to *which* piece of hardware
or driver, by any method other than blindly swapping out hardware.

I'm not talking, necessarily, about failing hardware.  Just some sort of
incompatibility bug.  On one system, we greatly reduced the incidence of
crashes by disabling the on-board broadcom NIC, and buying the intel server
PCIE NIC instead.

Likely candidates are the storage controller, and network adapter.  And
everything else in the system.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
        -E. O. Wilson