On Feb 19, 2013, at 10:26 AM, James Relph wrote:

>> If you want security updates, there's no reason why some of you can't get
>> together and start your own business offering these updates for a fee.  OI
>> is open source.  You wouldn't necessarily have to start your own
>> distribution, although you could do that, too.  But the code base is out
>> there.  You can charge a fee for these services.  And if you want to be real
>> nice, contribute the security fixes back to OI for inclusion in later
>> releases.
>>
>> That'd be do-able, and probably the closest to a win-win situation that
>> you're likely to find.
>>
>> I, personally, doubt if you could make enough money on it to make it worth
>> your while; but perhaps you could.
>
> You actually wouldn't need to make enough money on it in and of itself to
> make it worthwhile.  If we could find developers interested then we'd
> actually be happy to pay a few for some work as it would help in other areas
> of our business.  I think there's probably a few businesses like that.  If
> we're making money with boxes using Oi (which we are) it makes sense for us
> to make Oi better.  We've not got the budget of Nexenta, Joyent etc., but
> we've got a bit.
>
> The problem is finding appropriate developers, we've advertised, asked around
> online and at two Universities near us, and not had anyone either with any
> Solaris/Illumos experience, or interested in learning.  We may have found one
> person now interested in some contract work on specific features, but that's
> it!

When I said that I doubt if you could make enough money on it to make it worth
your while, I probably should have elaborated.

I think there is certainly a market out there.  My concern was, and is, how
much work would be involved in making it happen.  And that goes hand-in-hand
with what Mr. Relph just said.  Finding people with the expertise / abilities,
or willingness to learn it.

Plus, building the infrastructure, and coming up with organizational and
pricing structures that those working on it could agree on.

I was a business major in college back in the 80's.  Entrepreneurship was the
big buzz-word back then.  But they also pointed out that most new businesses
fail because people start businesses doing things they don't know anything
about.

I don't know the first thing about making security updates, so I wouldn't touch
it with a ten foot pole.  Somebody who knows about this already needs to be in
the mix.

My niece is a guidance counselor for all of the computer science students at a
midwest university.  I could get some advertisements there -- and we could
certainly contact other universities -- looking for people interested in this
kind of work IF we had somebody we could list for them to contact.