On 2013-09-05 01:33, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
As far as I remember I split if off by hand myself, after installing. The
thing is, it doesn't work on the new mahcine I'm trying that on.

However, you may have just convinced me NOT to. I have to admit, I'm
essentially comming from Solaris 8 (I've run some 10 machines, but not used
zfs extensives and haven't used Zones at all). However I think I finally
understand what boot environments do, why the filesystems are
consolidated, and what package management has to do with it.

Well, these things all have their reasoning, at least for the default
case, even if I personally disagree and tweak my setups differently ;)

Can zones be easily copied to other machines, like VM images ?

Pretty much yes, as long as the global zone OS version is the same on
both machines (there are many kernel-libc-zfs-... interactions that
do require coherent versions to be running). Easiness of such porting
depends on complexity of your customizations - such as delegated ZFS
into the zones vs. also storing them as singular filesystems, network
setup (delegated VNICs probably most common today). But in short - it
works after a little massage :)

//Jim