Thanks. Stephan,
What is the process or time frame of a bug fix in ZFS from Oracle making it's way down to Illuminous and on to OI?

On 12/12/13, 6:38 AM, Stephan Budach wrote:
Hi all,

Am 11.12.13 21:28, schrieb Jim Klimov:
Also, that thread mentions that you may use this work around with
the read-only dataset with the pool to enable writes to the dataset
and keeping it read-only before exporting the pool. Still, yes,
"budy" mentions setting the dataset attribute while the pool is
imported read-only (Stephan? would you chime in with more details,
if that's really you?)

Yes, that's me.  And I have to confess, that I am still running with
this zpool since. I had a long running SR with Oracle about this, but in
the end I was told by Oracle engineering to re-create the zpool, which I
refused to do.
So basically, I am still running with this work around of setting the
affected fs to read-only, before I export the zpool.
This server is under constant load and I just don't have the time and
resources to move all 370+ ZFS fs onto another storage.

To make things even worse, this error is inside the data structure of
the ZFS fs, so zfs send/revc, doesn't help here and the data would have
to be copied "manually" - nasty indeed.

However, I seem to recall, that Oracle Support told me, that this bug
had been fixed in S11SRU13. I am not sure, but I could look that up in
the SR. Of course, this only prevents this from happening to fs that are
not yet affected by this issue - there's currently no cure, afaik.

If you manage to reproduce this trick in command-line and if it does
indeed help (and if you want to keep using this pool i.e. to help
the developers reproduce and fix the core problem) instead of just
remaking the pool, you might build on the (unbaked as of yet) scripts
and SMF manifests here:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+ZFS+Pools+as+SMF+services+and+iSCSI+loopback+mounts

I would go for that, but I don't know, if that'd be to any avail, since
I am still running S11.

This would enable you to code all this logic about setting and removing
the readonly bits from your pool around the import-as-a-service, so that
your system would "gracefully" import the pool, enable the dataset, etc.
and undo this upon proper shutdown.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov

Cheers,
budy

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.ke...@colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager           Solaris 10 OS (SAI)
Engineering Network Services    Phone: 970-491-0630
College of Engineering, CSU     Fax:   970-491-5569
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'