Rainer Heilke wrote:
Greetings;

I need to build a new home server, but I need to get all 8 drives internal. Will Illumos/OpenIndiana support the Vantec UGT-ST310R SATA card?

This is based on Sil3114 SATA controller chip.
It might work if you reflash with the non-RAID firmware (which has to be done on Windows) since that chip makes the drives look like ATA drives to the OS, and the 3112 (2-drive version) was supported in Solaris in early days of SATA. Since this controller often corrupted data, you should never use it for anything other than a redundant ZFS configuration, on which you often run scrubs. ;-)

Seriously, keep well away from it. It was for operating systems which didn't know what SATA drives were, hence presenting them as ATA drives.

If not, will it support the Asus PIKE Technology 1064E card? I am trying to find something that can just present the extra drives as SATA drives to use ZFS.

I don't know that one, but it's a hardware RAID card - you want JBOD controller, not RAID controller.

--
Andrew