> On Dec 6, 2015, at 16:15, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 12/ 6/15 12:59 PM, Private openbabel wrote:
>> Dear Bob,
>>
>> I would like to see a foundation registered in the UK in early 2016 to
>> receive
>> donations and sponsorship similar to Libre Office.This will help with some of
>> the development objectives outlined.
>
> Will it?  Are there going to be enough donations to matter?
>
> I was part of the group that spent years setting up the X.Org Foundation in
> the US - we found that it was a ton of effort for little benefit if you're not
> bringing in enough money to pay at least one employee to manage it all (which
> is why we're now folding it into Software in the Public Interest - a larger
> open source umbrella foundation covering many projects).
>
>       -alan-

I think there needs to be some change that provides for a clear way for
businesses to account for donations to open source organizations and
developers.  Right now, from what I've seen mentioned before, typical
accounting departments have difficulty finding a legitimate reason or category
to spend for something that doesn't strictly require it, even if it could be
argued that it would enable valuable improvements in support.