On 08/24/17 08:46 PM, russell wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday after updating to the lastest Hipster release I was playing a mkv file using VLC starting from the cli, VLC reported that the it was using the hard acceleration (Nvidia driver NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-384.59.run). When playing the video from the beginning it played well, however when I used the VLC slider bar to advance through the video, system performance slow, the GUI was unresponsive. In the cli, a message reporting unable to stop dma. The only way to recover was to press the power switch until the system powered off.

I repeated the same test and even when I able to kill VLC the performance issue remained and I had to power cycle to recover.
Hello,
See if you have enough swap allocated. Increase them to at least 2 times the size of RAM.
(swap -l , swap -d , swap -a ; zfs create -V 16G /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap)
Yes, it sounds so antiquate but I witnessed that not having enough swap can hinder normal functioning of the system and if applications are run outside of the zones without constrained resources , they can hog the whole system down. (Solaris/illumos does not over-commit RAM)

Then again, if your system wasn't behaving like that, you can try report your hardware, last osnet-incorporation and usenet-incorporation versions , where you can not see the bug happening and what BE/osnet/userland were first when it started to happen and report a bug report on bugs.openindiana.org .

If it just happened recently, you can quickly report osnet and userland versions from BE where it behaved right the last time (beadm mount bename /mnt ; pkg -R /mnt info) and your surrent osnet- and userland where it does not behave right.

If you haven't been updating for some time, to test, one can go through various osnet-incorporation and userland incorporation versions, by creating new BE with beadm create, select into it with beadm activate, reboot, pkg uninstall 'entire' incorporation, and then, by looking at the dates at: http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/ with Advanced search and install corresponding osnet and userland (and install-incorporation if needed) to see when was the first time bug appears and add that info in a bug report.