Hi.

On 5/18/2019 2:54 AM, alka wrote:
Your OS is OI 151a prestable 9 from 2014
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/oi_151a_prestable9+Release+Notes

This, sadly, does not mention the ZFS/Zpool version numbers.

Your ZFS version must be v5000 with features

OK, thanks.

You can request feature state with 'zpool get all backup'

Because I can't import the pool ("unsupported version or feature"), this gives me, "cannot open 'backup': no such pool". That's the catch-22 I keep running into.

I would use a current Illumos distribution from may 2019, either OmniOS long term stable 151030 or OpenIndiana Hipster 2019.05 in the GUI or text edition. They can both import your pool and give many new pool features and options (faster, stable, more secure)

The new Hipster barely runs with the GUI desktop on this old hardware. :-( That's why I am thinking OmniOS or one of the other distributions. Installing all of Hipster and then disabling half of it (the GUI desktop) seems silly, and like extra work.

You can manage both from console or my napp-it appliance add-on for easy web management.

I looked at napp-it ages ago. It's a good tool, but if all I need is rsync and SSH... What little I would need to do is easy enough from an SSH terminal session. (Part of why I'm not bothered of losing the desktop--the server runs headless anyway).

Gea
napp-it.de

Thank you