I just updated a system from hipster-20180701 to hipster-20200802 .  I
assume it changed from gnome to mate in the update.  Almost everything
worked afterwards.  I was quite impressed.

One thing that fails to work now is the window size for emacs.  Emacs
is the only text editor that I use.  The size now is 63 x 31.  I know
I can resize it by pulling on the window frame with my mouse, but I'd
like it to start out at 80 x 36.  This used to happen with gnome when
I added these lines to my .emacs file:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 36))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 80))

I've tried many things.  I tried the command-line option -geometry,
setting geometry in my .Xdefaults, and adding this line to my .emacs
file:

    (when window-system (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 80 36))

All of these attempts have failed.  I conclude that the mate window
manager is constraining the window size.  Is there some way I can tell
the window manager to set the default size the way I want it?

--
-Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-