We have the tech there. Well adapted for our needs. APT+DPKG based Illumos
distro is not unpopular. Some distros even use RPM.

Most historic APT+DPKG based distros already dead, only DilOS is left now. So
we could have a look at DilOS, the way they patched and utilizing APT+DPKG and
we can even co-operate with them, if both side wanted.

We already see too many problems of the IPS pkg. Could we switch to another
path?

I know compatibility haunted us. But recently we broke it already. It's no
longer the holy grail we have to keep at all cost anymore.

Could we patch our oi-userland to generate DEB packages alongside of IPS
packages?

The DilOS people has figured out how to build illumos-gate into DEB packages
already.

This will not as hard as doing from scratch as we have many references.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.