On 2021-03-01 06:33, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
We have the tech there. Well adapted for our needs. APT+DPKG based Illumos distro
is not unpopular. Some distros even use RPM.

Most historic APT+DPKG based distros already dead, only DilOS is left now. So we could have a look at DilOS, the way they patched and utilizing APT+DPKG and we can
even co-operate with them, if both side wanted.

We already see too many problems of the IPS pkg. Could we switch to another path?

I know compatibility haunted us. But recently we broke it already. It's no longer
the holy grail we have to keep at all cost anymore.

Could we patch our oi-userland to generate DEB packages alongside of IPS packages?

The DilOS people has figured out how to build illumos-gate into DEB packages already.

This will not as hard as doing from scratch as we have many references.
There are many possible "package managers" available. Some have already been recobbled to support Solaris derivatives. But IMHO the DEB package managers are not as efficient as many of the others, it's a real "cache thrasher". Many of the others are more DB
centric. Which tends to make them much faster and less resource abusive.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX