On 4/11/2022 9:14 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:

OK. The Solaris documentation I linked to says that Solaris (and presumably distros downstream of that codebase) expects the DHCP server to be another Solaris machine, and so DHCP servers that don't behave like the latter can
result in unexpected behavior.

The above seems to be a meaningless statement.

DHCP (and its expectations) are not very complicated.

I use the ISC DHCP server here, but any reasonable DHCP server should do.

The DHCP client is expected to contact the server every so often and if the server fails to respond for a very long time, the DHCP lease will expire and the DHCP client should remove the IP address from the interface.

However, it appears likely that the DHCP server and client are not the guilty parties here.  It appears that some other software, or something in the kernel, is removing the IP address.  The DHCP client expects the kernel to retain the IP address until the interface is turned down.  It is not going to continually check to verify that nothing has disturbed it.

Bob

Just a thought:

Maybe that doc (which I didn't chase down since it fell off of thread) is referencing the fact that there are special tags used for jumpstart server, image server, image name, etc. That's all I could think off: if you are trying to jumpstart a machine. And yeah, those tags do have to exist, but you can put them on an isc or any other dhcp server too. It's all just a matter of what the client is asking for and what the server replies with, the specifics of the OS don't matter, frankly. From a pure IP request/renew/accept point of view, the protocol is the same.