Sorry, read the list out of order. Is Brick Breaker something that we should concentrate on?

Steve

On 31/05/2013 7:26 AM, Scott Palmer wrote:
Speaking of poor animation in Ensemble...

Is anyone able to run Brick Breaker without choppy animation or poor
framerate performance on the ball?

Now, I suspect the issue there is in the balls animation implementation in
the application rather than the JavaFX framework, as the bat moves smoothly
when I move the mouse, but the overall perception of JavaFX performance for
this demo app is not good. I would go so far as to say that Brick Breaker
has had the opposite effect it was intended too - simply because the
animation of the ball is not smooth.  That's something that would run
smoothly on a Commodore 64,yet the last time I tried it (5 minutes ago)
with JavaFX 8.0-b91 on a quad-core 3GHz Windows 7 box with a decent NVIDIA
card, it didn't run as smoothly as I would expect.  Just a single ball with
a shadow bouncing around the screen seemed to have a low framerate and the
occasional skipped frame.  It just didn't look that great.

The fact that Brick Breaker ships as a sample app from Oracle and it's
animation looks bad is harming JavaFX's reputation in my opinion.  I think
it could run much better on the existing JavaFX runtime.  The simple
animations in the Ensemble app run much smoother for example.

Scott