Up until now we've been using T2K to do font measurement / rasterizing. It is
what is used also by Java2D. It is native code, but what we mean by "native
font rendering" is relying on APIs in the native OS to do the font rasterizing
(and such) rather than T2K.

Because this is new code, it just hasn't been finished for all platforms.
Felipe is working on the linux implementation.

Richard