It does seem promising. We'll also need data to show the trade-offs to help inform whether it is worth making such a massive change.

-- Kevin

Stephen F Northover wrote:
This looks good. I wonder if we should make this (massive) change before we lambda graphics and controls? Probably doesn't matter. We'll need a JIRA and someone assigned to it in order to track the work.

Steve

On 2014-03-21 12:53 PM, Tom Schindl wrote:
Hi Richard,

Coming back to this old thread and now that we are using lamdas all over
I guess we could take one more look into that.

I've prototyped an initial version by introducing a new internal type
named InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty (not the best name ever!) - see
code pasted below.

And now one can write code like this:

     public final ObjectProperty<Rectangle2D> viewportProperty() {
         if (viewport == null) {
viewport = new InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<>(this, "viewport", (o) -> {
                 invalidateWidthHeight();
                 impl_markDirty(DirtyBits.NODE_VIEWPORT);
                 impl_geomChanged();
             } );
         }
         return viewport;
     }
instead of

     public final ObjectProperty<Rectangle2D> viewportProperty() {
         if (viewport == null) {
             viewport = new ObjectPropertyBase<Rectangle2D>() {

                 @Override
                 protected void invalidated() {
                     invalidateWidthHeight();
                     impl_markDirty(DirtyBits.NODE_VIEWPORT);
                     impl_geomChanged();
                 }

                 @Override
                 public Object getBean() {
                     return ImageView.this;
                 }

                 @Override
                 public String getName() {
                     return "viewport";
                 }
             };
         }
         return viewport;
     }
Which allows us to get rid of most of the ObjectPropertyBase sublcasses.

Tom

package com.sun.javafx.property;

import java.util.function.Consumer;

import javafx.beans.property.SimpleObjectProperty;

public final class InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<T> extends SimpleObjectProperty<T> { private final Consumer<InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<T>> invalidationConsumer; /**
      * The constructor of {@code ObjectProperty}
      *
      * @param initialValue
      *            the initial value of the wrapped value
      * @param invalidationConsumer
* the consumer to be called when the bean is invalidated
      */
public InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty(T initialValue, final Consumer<InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<T>> invalidationConsumer) {
         super(initialValue);
         if( invalidationConsumer == null ) {
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Consumer can not be null");
         }
         this.invalidationConsumer = invalidationConsumer;
     }

     /**
      * @param bean
      *            the bean of this {@code ObjectProperty}
      * @param name
      *            the name of this {@code ObjectProperty}
      * @param invalidationConsumer
* the consumer to be called when the bean is invalidated
      */
public InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty(Object bean, String name, final Consumer<InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<T>> invalidationConsumer) {
        super(bean, name);
        if( invalidationConsumer == null ) {
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Consumer can not be null");
        }
        this.invalidationConsumer = invalidationConsumer;
     }

     /**
      * The constructor of {@code ObjectProperty}
      *
      * @param bean
      *            the bean of this {@code ObjectProperty}
      * @param name
      *            the name of this {@code ObjectProperty}
      * @param initialValue
      *            the initial value of the wrapped value
      * @param invalidationConsumer
* the consumer to be called when the bean is invalidated
      */
public InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty(Object bean, String name, T initialValue, final Consumer<InvalidatedSimpleObjectProperty<T>> invalidationConsumer) {
         super(bean,name,initialValue);
         if( invalidationConsumer == null ) {
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Consumer can not be null");
         }
         this.invalidationConsumer = invalidationConsumer;
     }
          @Override
     protected void invalidated() {
         invalidationConsumer.accept(this);