I don't believe there is any inconsistency here. We are preserving the existing semantics in PlatformImpl.startup to not prevent duplicate calls by default, whilst we are reversing the semantics for the public API in Platform, where we do prevent duplicate calls. The end result is that we have one public API (Platform.startup) with one set of semantics (prevent duplicate values).

-- Jonathan