Is it really true that *all* of JavaFX is open source?

Even if it is, if I wanted to say take some aspects of the product in a radical
new direction, wouldn't someone from Oracle have to approve the changes?

If yes, then only Oracle can bring the big enhancements that are necessary
which we know will never happen.

As I said, the biggest impediment to the growth in features, performance and
adoption of JavaFX is Oracle themselves.