With a not very intuitive hack you can circumvent this problem already now.
Just add a line like this to the file which contains your main class
extending
Application (MyApp).

class MyAppLauncher {public static void main(String[] args)
{MyApp.main(args);}}

I do exactly the same, I construct a fat jar with all of JavaFX included and run it as above.

I was looking forward to the module system allowing a clean and easy way to have a visibility scope inbetween public and package (by making packages hierarchical for example), but it turned into a monster that just seems to make projects fragile and hard to build/run.

I suppose it may be possible to just generate and publish JavaFX jars without all the module-info files included, but I'm not sure it is as simple as that.

--John