On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 05:06:56 GMT, Phil Race <p...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Here is a slightly modified test program. It fixes a compilation error in
>> the previous, and also adds a system property
>> to set the number of quads:
>> It creates 200 quads by default. If you need to increase this or decrease it
>> to get something in the ~ 10 fps range you
>> can do that with `-DnumQuads=NNNN`.
>> [pointlighttest.zip](https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/files/4526179/pointlighttest.zip)
>
> @kevinrushforth
> Member
> kevinrushforth commented Apr 18, 2020
>
> I think most of those are good suggestions going forward. As for the
> performance drop, the only place we've seen it so
> far is on graphics accelerators that are a few years old by now.
> So 50% drop on a 2015 macbook pro is OK ? Do we have numbers on recent
> macbook pros ?

If this were an even remotely representative use case, then no, the performance
hit would not be OK. The test was
designed as an artificial "worst-case" stress test: a single mesh with a large
number of very large (window-sized)
quads stacked on top of each other. Any real-world use case won't do this.

We should make sure that we aren't seeing any significant performance drop when
rendering spheres (at a couple
different tessellation levels) or boxes.