> I'd like to work on implementing this feature: JDK-8238733
> <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8238733>

I suggest you sent a new email specifically discussing this issue then. You
will need approval from Kevin of Johan to implement it anyway. Someone
might be able to help you technically, but in general you would need to
learn the code yourself.

Similarly, I'm not entirely sure I understand this disconnect between
> "JavaFX's" code and "sun's" code?

Generally, code inside com.sun packages is internal; code inside javafx
packages is for the public API.