You can achieve this when you bundle your application with jpackage.
For proper macOS menubar handling you should also consider to use
the library NSMenuFX (https://github.com/codecentric/NSMenuFX) because
JavaFX itself still cannot do that.
Michael

Am 17.09.20 um 19:11 schrieb Rob Nikander:
Hi,

I’m trying to set the text shown in the macOS menubar. The advice I see online
says to use -Xdock:name, but when I try that, I still see “java” in the
menubar. Is there a way to make it use “MyAppName”?  Some of my
build.gradle.kts file is shown below.

Rob
plugins {
     application
     kotlin("jvm") version "1.4.10"
     id("org.openjfx.javafxplugin") version "0.0.9"
}

application {
     mainClass.set(“myapp.MainKt")
     applicationName = "MyAppName"