On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 16:53:29 GMT, Andy Goryachev <ango...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> - updated .classpath entries in apps/
> - added utf-8 prefs in .settings/

One quick comment. Compiling or running the apps should not need any additional
`--add-exports`, `--add-reads`, or `--add-opens` arguments, and they should not
need to load the shims or junit. Those should only be needed for building and
running unit tests. Applications should be run with just the modular jars.

Even if you use the Eclipse-generated class files, apps shouldn't need anything
from the unit test infrastructure (which is the reason for needing all those
`--add-exports`). Since I'm not an Eclipse user, I will defer to those who are,
so @nlisker can make this call. As long as you use this as a convenience, then
I have no objection. Just be aware that this will mean you aren't running in
the real environment. It would therefore be possible to make an app change that
accidentally uses an internal package, so would run in Eclipse but fail to
compile with `gradle apps`.

As for the error message, "JavaFX runtime components are missing" means that
the Java launcher cannot load the `javafx.graphics` module. It looks like the
`--add-modules` arguments are missing, but that should prevent the unit tests
from running as well, and yet those are working for you.