On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:26:03 GMT, Andy Goryachev <ango...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Good question.
>>
>> We could deprecate the old policy, although leaving it as is also leaves all
>> its issues in place (see JDK-8292810).  There is a subtle behavioral
>> difference between the old CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY and
>> CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY_SUBSEQUENT_COLUMNS that people might notice and
>> may not like.  The difference is that the old policy works similar to
>> CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY_LAST_COLUMN until the last column cannot be
>> resized, then it resizes one before it.
>>
>> Another option is that we could add another policy which will work exactly
>> (minus bugs) as the old one.  What do you think?
>
> Try tests/manual/controls/ATableViewResizeTester.java to see the behavior.

> We could deprecate the old policy, although leaving it as is also leaves all
> its issues in place (see JDK-8292810). There is a subtle behavioral
> difference between the old CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY and
> CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY_SUBSEQUENT_COLUMNS that people might notice and may
> not like. The difference is that the old policy works similar to
> CONSTRAINED_RESIZE_POLICY_LAST_COLUMN until the last column cannot be
> resized, then it resizes one before it.
>
> Another option is that we could add another policy which will work exactly
> (minus bugs) as the old one. What do you think?

I like that all new constrained resize policies have a more describing name and
I think we should stick to it, therefore I'm in favor of deprecating the 'old',
more generic named resize policy.
Regarding the behaviour change, we may want to implement a constrained resize
policy which does the same as the old one, but without bugs and a name similar
to the other ones.