I think there is a misunderstanding here.

What I want is basically create a zip that contains all needed jars and run my application via "java -jar myapp.jar". Of course there exists a proper exe for windows users etc but thats besides the point. The one thing the whole discussion is about is that I want to use the same zip for all supported platforms (linux and windows in my case). What I specifically NOT want is platform dependent zips. We have a very large number of dependencies and the size of the whole thing (zipped) is about 300MB. Having os specific versions would basically double that size for our nexus instance, the download server etc.

To be clear: the whole thing has to run on the classpath and is not modularized (yet). Not what we want but what other dependencies are forcing us to do.

If I read the source correctly, the javafx-maven-plugin can either run the application on my dev machine (why?) or create platform dependent runtime images.
Am I missing something?

Seriously, isn't the sole existence of this plugin an indicator that something is not quite right?

Again, apologies if this sounds personal or unfriendly in any way. Not intended at all.

        -Thomas