This seems related, but somewhat tangential. A Control's "graphic" isn't a child node, just like a Shape's "clip" isn't a child node.

Creating a separate "document graph" (or "logical graph") sounds like an interesting idea, but it would bring its own set of challenges. And it wouldn't directly solve this case anyway.

-- Kevin