Well I managed to work around it by placing the applyCss() call on the Cell
itself, rather than the Shape node that I was styling.  I'm still not sure
if I'm doing something wrong, if this is just how it's done and the
applyCss() call is the correct thing to do for this case, or if this should
be considered a bug.

Scott