Even if I always kept the TextFlow as a graphic on the cells, I would need to change its children to show the correct shape and text. So there would normally be changes to the children when updateItem is called, just one level deeper in the node hierarchy.

It makes sense that in most circumstances you shouldn’t be adding or removing nodes during layout, but if updateItem is called during layout it would have to be an exception. As you note, updating the graphic is normal and clearly changes the children.

I was surprised that I had to call applyCss() one level higher in the node hierarchy than where the relevant CSS actually was, but I’m okay with that as a workaround for now. I don’t expect it to be a performance issue.

Scott