On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:31:58 GMT, Florian Kirmaier <fkirma...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> The approach of this PR had the big advantage of highly reducing the
> complexity.

Nested event loops are complicated and I agree we should ditch them when we
can. But in this case Apple saddled us and themselves with complexity by making
fullscreen transitions asynchronous. I did a quick Google search and had no
problem finding problems. The Electron folks discovered that if you call
toggleFullscreen during the fullscreen transition you get "weird behavior
(incl. phantom windows)" and I was able to reproduce this. Who knows what other
strangeness can happen. Anything we do to make toggleFullscreen behave more
synchronously reduces our exposure to Apple bugs (and synchronous behavior is
what JavaFX expects) so I think we'll just have to grit our teeth and deal with
the nested event loops.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/622#issuecomment-1631127635