On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 02:44:31 GMT, Nir Lisker <nlis...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I'm unconvinced that this is the way to solve the issue it describes in its
> doc. The problem is that each control wants to add its own css metadata to
> that of its parent (recursively), and that the list is immutable (or
> unmodifiable).

This is not the problem.

> The solution offered is a helper method for the general problem of creating a
> new immutable list from an existing one plus other elements (I agree with
> John that it's another copy of this kind of method, which would probably mean
> it's a good candidate for the JDK).

I would not go that far as to call it a candidate for JDK, the scope of this
change is limited to CssMetaData and is sufficiently different from a general
purpose entity.

> What each class brings with itself is a list of its own metadata properties.
> That's all it should declare. This list should automatically be added to the
> one of its parent, recursively, forming the final list. This part shouldn't
> be done by users as it's just another place to make a mistake in.

True.  The only way to avoid mistake is to have this data generated by
reflection or pre-processing.  Neither is a good alternative, so I am not
solving this particular problem.  The problem I am trying to solve is to
provide a slightly more efficient utility method to replace repeating the same
code over and over.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1296#issuecomment-1832183789