I haven't looked at this proposal yet, but there are some interesting ideas here worth further discussion.

I just wanted to weigh in on the cssref piece. As Andy indicated, cssref.html is the normative specification for JavaFX CSS properties. And no, it can't be (fully) auto-generated.

The only way I could imagine tooling being involved is to auto-generate the individual property tables for including in the html somehow (which would need some sort of javadoc-inspired facility to add comments in the table, etc). And while an interesting concept, it would likely be a rather large effort for relatively little gain.

-- Kevin

On 12/7/2023 7:48 AM, Andy Goryachev wrote:

> I think that the CSS reference should be generated from the source code, which is something the annotation processor can do.

Surely, you don't suggest we should change the CSS ref?

https://openjfx.io/javadoc/21/javafx.graphics/javafx/scene/doc-files/cssref.html

I subscribe to a school of thought that requires specifications written by humans for humans.  The CSS reference is, in my opinion, an authoritative source, so I would be against developing any tooling that generates it from the source code.

-andy