On Sat, 25 May 2024 19:28:56 GMT, Nir Lisker <nlis...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Michael Strauß has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a
>> merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains 57 commits:
>>
>>  - Merge branch 'refs/heads/master' into feature/css-transitions
>>  - extract magic string to named constant
>>  - use existing property in test
>>  - fixed documentation
>>  - Merge branch 'master' into feature/css-transitions
>>  - update 'since' tags
>>  - Fix javadoc error
>>  - Change javadoc comment
>>  - Merge branch 'master' into feature/css-transitions
>>  - Discard redundant transitions in StyleableProperty impls
>>  - ... and 47 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/compare/94aa2b68...a43dee30
>
> modules/javafx.graphics/src/main/docs/javafx/scene/doc-files/cssref.html line
> 688:
>
>> 686:     <h3><a id="introtransitions">Transitions</a></h3>
>> that are styled by CSS. When a property value is
>> 688:         changed, it smoothly transitions to the new value over a period
>> of time. Implicit transitions are supported
>
> Maybe not so smoothly when using a step interpolator?

I've changed the wording a bit.

> modules/javafx.graphics/src/main/java/com/sun/javafx/css/TransitionDefinition.java
>  line 40:
>
>> 38:  * @param duration duration of the transition
>> 39:  * @param delay delay after which the transition is started; if
>> negative, the transition starts
>> 40:  *              immediately, but will appear to have begun at an earlier
>> point in time
>
> Why accept a negative delay? An
> [`Animation`](https://openjfx.io/javadoc/22/javafx.graphics/javafx/animation/Animation.html#getDelay())
>  doesn't accept it.

The W3C specification for the
[transition-delay](https://www.w3.org/TR/css-transitions-1/#transition-delay-property)
 property mandates it, and this PR is a complete implementation of the
specification. You're right that `Animation` doesn't support negative delays,
but at least for implicit transitions, negative delays have some utility.

Maye we can revisit the choice to disallow negative delays for `Animation`
later.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/870#discussion_r1614870557
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/870#discussion_r1614870213