On Mon, 28 Sep 2026 08:44:31 GMT, Christopher Schnick <[email protected]> 
wrote:

> I frequently ran into this issue when setting up a new system where you would 
> have manually set env variables if the install location of Visual Studio was 
> different or it was using VS2026 (which is not officially supported, but 
> works for development).
> 
> This approach is simpler, detects more installations, automatically filters 
> out incompatible ones, and is future proof in terms of new versions.
> 
> For testing, removing any VS env vars and deleting the 
> build/windows_tools.properties file, should make this logic trigger
> 
> ---------
> - [x] I confirm that I make this contribution in accordance with the [OpenJDK 
> Interim AI Policy](https://openjdk.org/legal/ai).

Alright, I can readd the old logic as well. However, by definition of a valid 
Visual Studio install, the vswhere executable is always there. So in theory, 
that old logic will never be reached as a fallback

I can image vswhere not working properly some years ago when VS2015 was still 
considered acceptable in the selection. Other than that, I never encountered 
any issues with vswhere in other projects so far.

Furthermore in terms of old logic, is VS 2017 even still supported?

-------------

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/2330#issuecomment-5872313241
PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/2330#issuecomment-5872360113

Reply via email to