On 2020-03-06T17:02:14, Howard Chu wrote:
> Howard Chu wrote:
> > Just some initial thoughts on what a new logging daemon should do for us:
> >
> > The primary goal - we want to use a binary message format with as few
> > format conversions as possible between log
> > sender and log processor.
>
> One other concern - what do we do about debug output to stderr? If we keep
> that,
> then we still have message formatting overhead inside slapd itself, and we're
> potentially managing two redundant sets of message formats.

I'm not sure if you're toying with the idea of removing output to stdout/stderr
but I figure I'll share my 2cents anyway.

We make *heavy* use of openldap in containers and having the output go to
stdout and stderr is *super* helpful when debugging issues in vanilla docker or
kubernetes.

Not only does stdout allow you to use native tools such as `journalctl` or
`kubectl` out of the box, log aggregation is a completely solved problem in
this workflow and is trivial to implement.

That being said, persisting logs to disk in a binary format has its merits.
Personally, I don't think plain text logs scale all that well.

Matt Pallissard