--On Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:35 AM +0000 Howard Chu <h...@symas.com> wrote:

Not only does stdout allow you to use native tools such as `journalctl`
or `kubectl` out of the box, log aggregation is a completely solved
problem in this workflow and is trivial to implement.

That being said, persisting logs to disk in a binary format has its
merits.   Personally, I don't think plain text logs scale all that well.

Plaintext logs scale horribly. When you have servers processing hundreds
of thousands to millions of queries/sec, you have to rotate log files
pretty frequently otherwise your disks get filled.

The issue I found, at least with journald, is it deadlocks when subjected to millions of queries/sec environments.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect