Hello,

Just some points you have to do to start working with password expiration :
 - load ppolicy overlay and configure it to your database
- define a policy that enable password expiration (by setting its pwdMaxAge attribute) - make sure to apply it policy to your test user (must be the default one of our database or applied using user's pwdPolicySubentry attribute) - change your test user password to set its initial pwdChangedTime attribute

After this initial configuration, you will able to retreive user's password status on login if :
 - you use a LDAP v3 connection
 - you send a PasswordPolicyRequest control on user bind
 - you handle PasswordPolicyResponse control return by the server

You could use the following python script that handle connection against LDAP server with ppolicy enabled and that display bind result with PasswordPolicyResponse controls details if available :

https://gitlab.easter-eggs.com/-/snippets/23

Note: make sure to use python 3 and python-ldap >= 3.3.0 for full details. On Debian testing, you can easily pin python3-ldap package from experimental (https://packages.debian.org/experimental/amd64/python3-ldap/download). On Debian stable, you could use this package: http://apt.easter-eggs.com/debian/pool/main/p/python-ldap/python3-ldap_3.3.1-1~eebpo100+2_amd64.deb).

Regards,