On 5/12/2023 6:35 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I really feel like there's something wrong with the server configuration.

Entirely possible but, like the guy looking for his keys under the
streetlight, I wanted to check something I knew how to check :-)

If the client is saying something reasonable (like TLS 1.2 or 1.3, not
1.1 or 1.0) and is offering a reasonable set of ciphers, then the server
is sick.

> Doesn't systemd open a socket even if a service is _not_ running? I
> think systemd does it to make the service start fast. I.e., a
> `systemctl start slapd.service` will happen quickly because the
> listening socket is already operating.

I'm not a Linux guy - I work on Solaris - but assuming that systemd
operates something like its predecessor inetd, it opens sockets for
transient services, so that the system can receive a connection and only
*then* start up a program to handle it.  Long-lived servers aren't
handled that way.  (And the cost to set up a listening socket is
negligible.)

--
Jordan Brown, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, Oracle Solaris