The tables were being created, but when I implemented the packaged zip
distribution again the log files indicated that OM was indeed getting
stuck populating the tables. And it was indeed a Latin1/UTF8 error
code (1366).

Now OM is up and running! However, just changing that line didn't fix
everything: the Client and Conn. charsets were changed to UTF8, but
the Server and the DB charsets were still Latin (using the "status"
command in the MySQL line client, for those who find this later). I re-
configured the MySQL instance through the wizard and manually chose
UTF8 at the appropriate screen (8th screen, "Please select the default
character set", select the third radio button "Manual Selected Default
Character Set/Collation")

Thank you Much!!
(out of curiosity, do you know where the installation hmtl pages/
scripts are in the source code? for the life of me I can't find
them..)