On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:42 -0400, Paul Donohue wrote:
> Incase anyone is curious, I think I've figured out all the magic to make both
> pulls and pushes to Subversion work relatively easily.
>
> If you want to try it, install git on your machine (in debian/ubuntu, install
> the 'git-core' package).
> Then download http://git.TopQuark.net/OpenNMS.git.tar.gz (150MB file
> containing the entire Subversion archive).
> tar -xvzf OpenNMS.git.tar.gz
> cd OpenNMS/

I assume it's not substantially different from the archive I pulled from
you a while back?

One thing that does grate a little is the multiple project branches, for
example I've pulled the debian magic into my main branch because I'm
always building packages. I guess a proper setup would use sub-project
support.

Having said that I'm not exactly committing into SVN but just
occasionally sending patches to the list as well as maintaining our own
internal releases in git.

> List branches (both local and remote) - 'git branch -a'
> Create and checkout a local working branch - 'git checkout -b <local branch>
> <remote branch>'
> Pull any new updates from Subversion into git's remote branches - 'git svn
> fetch --fetch-all'
> Pull new updates from git's remote branches into currently checked-out branch
> - 'git svn rebase'
> Edit files as needed
> Commit changes to your local working branch - 'git commit'
> Push git commits up to Subversion - 'git svn rebase ; git svn dcommit'

I need to work out a way of cleaning up my branch to make re-bases
cleaner. Currently each re-base to the main 1.6 release can be painful a
conflict in a file can re-occur on each revision from my iterative
development.

> Hopefully this is enough to get you started...

Thanks for doing the initial conversion by the way, having a git repo
makes life a lot easier for a "distributed" developer like me :-)

--
Alex Bennee, Software Engineer
MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it. -- from Lars