Hi,

I know we've attempted to work this but something is definitely wrong in
OpenNMS 1.14 and beyond.  At first, I thought it was a java issue,
however, it's not or only partially.  It crashes using the java on
FreeBSD whether it's linux java or the openjdk.  Openjdk crashes almost
immediately while the linux java continues for a longer duration but
also crashes.

Guys, this is Java.  Code ported to java is supposed to run in a JRE
without issue.

Here's the main problem:  I used to have 1.08 running on FreeBSD8.
Recently, I've been trying to get this working on FreeBSD 10 so that I
can create a page on the OpenNMS site to handle this while I get the
port for FreeBSD complete.  However, I've been getting e-mail from other
people asking me the status as 1.10 used to work on FreeBSD 9.x and 1.14
and 1.15 no longer work on any type of java on FreeBSD.  (These people
have found that nothing works on FreeBSD 10 or 11 (BETA) and not one of
the JDKs works without crashing over time.)

This leads me to believe that something in the OpenNMS XML code is not
being handled correctly or there is a conditional that is not handled
correctly.  Please review the code that was introduced between 1.10 and
1.14.  Something is amiss and I'm ok handling the e-mails from FreeBSD
users but I no longer believe this is an issue solely between the
Oracle/Linux JDK and OpenJDK.  Also, the opennms community is stating
that the product doesn't work with openjdk. However, openjdk is supposed
to be 100% compatible with all other JDKs.

I'm urging the OpenNMS developers to start looking into this as the
product should work in all JDKs, isn't that what Java is all about?
FreeBSD is POSIX compliant just like the BSD database PostGreSQL is
POSIX SQL database compliant.  So, please dig into this and find out
what is going on.  (Courtesy of the work Ron Roskens and others have put
in, I believe that a place to start may be code that points to epoll on
Linux where FreeBSD uses kqueue.)

So... given that Apple uses Darwin OS, which seems to be relying less
and less on the Mach kernel and heading towards pure FreeBSD kernel and
userland, this may be a good time to address this before the issue
becomes a showstopper on Apple OSX as well.

Thank you!

Paul Pathiakis