On Donnerstag, 2. August 2018 08:24:17 CEST Michael Schwingen wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 22:25:18 +0200
>
> Matthias Welwarsky <matth...@welwarsky.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm very much wondering if this feature is worth maintaining. Is it
> > so useful that it's worth the considerable additional complexity for
> > keeping the caches coherent? Flushing the caches is a very invasive
> > action by a debugger and will considerably change the context under
> > debug. If there isn't a compelling argument to keep it I'm much more
> > in favor of removing it completely instead of trying fixing it.
>
> I do think it is useful and should be kept / fixed. There are
> situations where the available hardware breakpoints are not sufficient
> and a fallback to software breakpoints is required - even if it is an
> invasice operation, it is better than not being able to debug in that
> situation.

AHB memaccess is not required for software breakpoints. There are anyway a lot
of platforms where no AHB AP exists at all, maybe even the majority. In fact
there is no functionality right now where AHB memory access integrated in the
cortex_a target is actually required (or particularly useful).

For background memory access I suggest looking at the "mem_ap" pseudo-target
implemented in http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/4002

BR,
Matthias