In comments of http://openocd.zylin.com/5083 Tomas Vanek wrote:

> Paul, at least twice I experienced situation when change was ready (CR+2, verified+1) but gerrit Submit button was grey. > If I tested to cherry-pick the change in my local clone of git master, everything worked.

> I triggered rebase in gerrit interface, waited for jenkins+1 and put CR+2: the Submit button turned to blue and merge worked.
> I did not investigated reasons why...

> I just suspect it might happen after merging a parent change updated to newer changeset than the change is dependent to.

Hi Paul,

today our gerrit obstructed merging again.
I merged #4891, #4892 and wanted to continue with #4893. "Cannot merge" gerrit said, the merge button was grey. I decided that I could merge #4894 #4912 #4911 as they do not depend on #4893. I did so, no problems.
Then I returned to #4893 page. "Cannot merge" was still shown.
I wrote a comment on this change and guess what... Gerrit changed its opinion, "Cannot merge" disappeared
and the merge button changed to blue and working. A funny bug, isn't it?
At least we know how to workaround the bug without forcing rebase.

Tomas