Hey folks,

I'm currently trying to get JTAG debugging of a Raspberry Pi 3 to work properly, and ran into an issue. When issuing debug commands with GDB, such as single step while the processor is in user mode (0x10), I'm getting:

        error: cannot read system control register in this mode

While the single-step is still executed (the program counter advances), GDB acts as if the single step is never completed, so I have to hit ^C again to see the new state.

My question is: why does "aarch64_post_debug_entry" _need_ to read the system control register. I do see that further down in the function there's internal state being updated, but I have no idea of what the implications are of not being able to update this state. As an experiment, I changed the "return ERROR_FAIL" to "return ERROR_OK" after the "error: cannot read system control register in this mode" message, and stepping is now working properly for my limited use case.

Some insight into why this is written this way, or where I can learn more would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and have a great weekend,
Lucas