On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 5:52 PM Andreas Fritiofson
<andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM Andreas Fritiofson
> <andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Is 'shell' a GNU Make only feature that would still have generated a warning
>> from automake, like the previous 'wildcard'? Otherwise it's the obvious
>> solution here.
>>

> Answering myself... $(shell ls ...) gives the same warning as $(wildcard ...)

Yes, that's why I end up with '!=', after some tests.
While automake does not complain with '!=', this BSD make syntax is
still not POSIX approved and not clear if later automake will issue a
warning here too.

Another option is to have configure to create the list of NEWS-* and
pass it in a variable for Makefile generation.
The issue, here (but with very low impact in the day-by-day
development) is that adding a new NEWS-XX file will require the
developer to run configure again to let it update Makefile.

Antonio