On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:29:03 +0200
Richard Braun <rbr...@sceen.net> wrote:

> The two schools are :

Personally I subscribe to a third school of thought: it’s good to use
the type system to communicate information to other programmers. If I
see that a variable is unsigned, I know it can never be negative. Every
time I see something that’s conceptually unsigned (e.g. a count or
size) but uses a signed type, it adds cognitive overhead because I have
to figure out why it’s signed—is it just because it was written by
someone who likes using signed types for unsigned values, or is there
extra information in there, such as using negative values for special
placeholder values? If it’s unsigned, it’s pretty obviously just a
plain count or size value, and I can get on with my life.

There’s not all that much information that one can communicate via the
type system in C compared to some other languages, but when the option
is there, I prefer to use it.
--
Christopher Head