You know in the old days source code control systems (SCCS) would
require a developer to "check out" a copy of the code, and while it was
checked out, nobody else could modify the code.  This was before the
merge routines were as smart as they are today.

There has been a LOT of traffic on this list lately and a lot of patches
flying around.  If the "merge" capability of the current SCCS is not
adequate, maybe we need a todo.txt file that comes with the tree, and in
that text file we simply list files and who has them conceptually
checked out.    This is simply a protocol that says: "I am working on
this file or files, and please do not modify them until I relinquish the
ticket to modify".

This is not hard, it is a single text file.   Elsewhere in that file we
might put enhancement requests.

We do something like this for Kicad and it works pretty well.  This is
over and above the tracker database that most mere users
(non-developers) of the software use.

a simple suggestion,

Dick

Having said all this, I can relate to the frustration of spending time
and then having a patch denied entrance into the repository.  And in my
case it is a patch that adds freedom of choice and does not replace
anybody's favorite thing.