I know I'm going to probably regret asking this as it has got to be easy and
I feel dumb for asking but how can I do a read, modify, write cycle to setup
CPU registers?

Tcl is probably the answer but 1) I don't know it and 2)I've been searching
the archives, reading the OpenOCD documentation and grepping examples .cfg
files and I can't find an example of what I want to do.

I thought this would be something common.  I'm trying to port scripts from
another vendor to OpenOCD.

I need to read a location with say mdw, store that in a variable.  OR
another value to what was read and then write the result back with say mww.

TIA!

Regards,

Brian