On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 17:52 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009, Zach Welch wrote:
> > If you are still willing continue in this role, I would like to see you
> > document the release processes (perhaps in doc/manual/releases.txt?) and
> > inform the rest of us what we need to do to make 0.2.0 a reality.
>
> Heck ... even if you're not willing, I suspect you're the best
> person to write a brief "how to get a release out" email!
>
> Not for incorporation into the Doxygen manual, but to help
> kickstart the 0.2 release.  Surely there are two or three
> specific things the "community" should do better next time...
>
> My own 0.2.0 (?) questions cover the basics:
[snip]

Excellent summary for the release manager to consider. :)

>  - Why do we even need/want it?
>
> Re "Why", IMO it might suffice to say that after four or five
> months, lots of bugs have been fixed and features added, so
> it's just time to clean up the rough spots and declare victory
> over some stable code.

I think the most pressing reason would be to get most users into the
habit of using our releases, rather than the SVN trunk.  In addition to
removing some of the pressure from developers working on the trunk,
regular releases will allow OpenOCD to receive better adoption by
distributions, which will help us attract more developers and users.

Thanks for raising these questions. :)

Cheers,

Zach